Thursday, February 23, 2006

Mountain Climbing

There seems to be one constant in life... change.

I choose to believe that God has a master plan for my life. And this plan is my life's journey. Whether I follow it or not is my choice.

Oddly enough, I've always envisioned this journey as if I were climbing a mountain.

Sometimes I find myself at the bottom, looking straight up. As far as I can see it's just straight up. I think to myself, "How in the world will I ever climb up that far?"

And where is it taking me anyway? It's foggy up there above the clouds. I can't see my destination... I just know deep in my soul that it's where I'm supposed to go.

But then I put one foot in front of the other and start climbing. It's tough and the way is steep. My footing is not always sure. But one day I look around and realize I'm not climbing anymore. I'm resting. I'm sitting on a level plateau a few thousand feet above where I began, and I'm enjoying the view.

"Phew," I say to myself. "I made it, and boy, does it feel great! No more work, just rest."

I know from experience that I will have more to climb. But for now, I'm just going to enjoy the the fruits of my labor. I've earned it.

Then months-weeks-years go by, and I wake up one morning and find myself once again looking up. God is nudging me to continue my ascent.

It's time to go.

1 comment:

bayouinga said...

I'm not sure when I started thinking of my life in terms of that analogy. But I did and it has stuck. Change is good.