Sunday, February 12, 2006

CASA

I'm a CASA volunteer. It's short for Court Appointed Special Advocate.

On CBS The Early Show, author Anna Quindlen said this about CASA ,

"You go into a court room and you will see lawyers who know the law and
have dozens of kids' files, or you have social workers who know the regulations
and have dozens of kids' files. But if a CASA volunteer is in the room, you will
see they have just one file, and what they know is that one child. And that can
make all the difference to a judge's decision regarding how the rest of that
child's life is going to go."

My CASA child is a six-year-old blond haired, blue-eyed, fiesty little boy who doesn't deserve the hand in life he's been dealt. I go to court this Thursday for his 36-month hearing. That's right... he's been in foster care for half of his young life.

When I was sworn in by a district court judge last year, a veteran CASA performed sign language to this song. She said to remember this words to this song everytime we go to court and speak for our child. It had a profound effect on me.

In honor of him and the awesome task that's been entrusted to me, I post this song, Concrete Angel, by Martina McBride.

This one's for you, little buddy. I pray I bring you justice.

http://webratsmusic.com/video-6046-concrete-angel.php

No comments: