Wednesday, February 08, 2006

My Favorite Things

A great massage

The smell of the top of my niece, Claudia's, head

Hearing my niece say "I Wuv Woo"

Reading a great quote that I totally "get"

NAPS!

A great book

My 5-month-old Goddaughter, Maggie's, bright eyes and grin

Route 44 Diet Coke from Sonic first thing in the morning

My late grandmother, Granny, aka. The Gran!

When my big brother calls me by my childhood nickname "Louie"

Having a student come to my class just to "visit"

Aunt Kava, who takes a lickin' and just keeps on tickin'

When a student who hates to read tells me that I pick "great books" and really means it

My "little cousin" Laurie who cracks me up more than just about anyone on this planet

DeAngelo's Picasso calzone on whole wheat with pepperoni, onions, artichokes, mushrooms, and extra mozzarella cheese

The palest of pink tulips

Most of my extended family living together during the month following Hurricane Katrina

Sleeping in a freezing cold room underneath a really thick, heavy duvet

Seeing mountains in the distance

Prayer

Fresh, crisp, non-humid air

A great song whose lyrics make me feel something

Getting together with my girlfriends in Atlanta and laughing until I could pee on myself

My mom's random calls to my cellphone voicemail with her singing "I Just Called To Say I Love You"

When my dad calls me "just because"

Being pampered

Baseball hats

Friday night high school football games

The fact that my sister-in-law lets me spend time with my nieces whenever I want

Getting flowers sent to me at work

April (my friend, not the month)

Romantic Jim Brickman concert at Chastain Park Amphitheatre on a summer night

Stepping on the scale and seeing that I've lost weight

Singing Verdi's Requiem

Audiobooks

Georgia Bulldogs

Blogging

Wireless High-Speed Internet

Mascara

Rooms with high ceilings

A weekend afternoon looking at new construction real estate

My cellphone

4 comments:

bayouinga said...

You're right and I'm damn proud of it. Call me multi-faceted.

Anonymous said...

I think it's great that you take notice of the things in your life that make you happy. I especially like your list because most of things you mention are simple pleasures. Too often people focus so much on the negative, that they are constantly miserable (and they try to infect the people around them, too – you know what they say, misery loves company).

One of my most important life lessons was that attitude is a choice. You probably remember having conversations with me about this. One can choose to be happy or sad or mad or ecstatic. And it’s even OK to get angry or be sad occasionally. However, it’s important to realize that you have made a conscious choice to feel that way. No one can MAKE you mad – you choose to be mad!

Sorry about the rambling there. Getting back to your list, some of my favorites are (in no particular order): sleeping in a cold room with massive covers; rooms with high ceilings; seeing mountains in the distance; audio books; being pampered; singing Verdi’s Requiem (because I can’t sing); great quotes; a great book; students dropping by.

Ones I can do without are mascara and 44 oz of anything (I don’t think I can drink that much).

bayouinga said...

Jim, you are great! Thanks for the comments.

bayouinga said...

Thank you, Andy. I have a feeling I know just who old anonymous is! And you're right... totally weak. (that was actually going to be part of my original comment back to him, but I must have left it out... what can I say? Great minds think alike)