Friday, January 06, 2006

Too Picky? (part 2)

So here I am, in Atlanta for the SEC Championship Game weekend, and I find myself thinking, wondering, ok actually obsessing over whether or not I'm going to hear from Mr. Match. You remember him, right? He's the guy I wasn't all that attracted to. What is it about the fact that once someone doesn't seem all that available that makes you want to know them better? He told me he'd call me on my cell phone sometime over the weekend. He knew that I was in Atlanta for the game, too, and I really thought he'd want to see me. At least that was the impression I got from him.

Well, I did run into Mr. Match in Atlanta at the game. I say I "ran into him," but I honestly made a point to just so happen to be where his seats were. Ok, it wasn't THAT obvious because my seats were just a few sections over. (I acted totally shocked to have run into him. I have to add that I started out college majoring in theater, so I am a pretty good actress if I do say so myself.) Wasn't I not really attracted to him? What's wrong with me?!?!

He seemed really happy to see me (Hey... maybe he was acting, too. I never really thought about that till just now!). He jumped up, hugged and kissed me, introduced me to all of his friends, and even made a point to ask his friend to snap a picture of us together! If he was acting, then he's pretty good at it, too! I purposely said goodbye first (didn't want to appear too eager), and my friend and I found our seats. Not 5 minutes later I got a text message from him saying, "What a pleasant surprise seeing you. Good luck to the Bulldogs." Ok, maybe he didn't use the word "pleasant," but it was close. My friend was quite impressed. He really seemed interested. I began to think that maybe I really DID need to give this guy a shot!

Well, he made no other attempt to contact or see me while we were there even though I was only a few sections away. That told me that maybe he wasn't as interested in me as I thought. On Monday I got an email from him asking how my trip went and saying he hoped I had gotten home ok. I got a brief email from him each day that week with him saying he would call me soon.

That was the first week in December and he's never called. Good thing I wasn't holding my breath! Oh, I've gotten a few emails from him, but no phone calls and no real attempts to "make good" on the bet he owed me for dinner and a movie. (The Dawgs obliterated the Tigers, so he lost the bet.) His emails consisted of lots of "Hope all is well with you" and "I'm SO busy right now. This is my busiest time of year" and "I'm going fishing this weekend, but tell me when your free next week." He text messaged me on Christmas Day. His text was as follows: "I was just thinking about you. I hope you had a good Christmas." Why did this guy continue to make veiled attempts at staying in contact if he really wasn't interested in seeing me again?

After a month of this kind of communication, I'd had enough. I mean, come on! You know, I'm just sort of one of those "Sh!t or get off the pot" kind of people. I sent him this email two days ago:


"Just a quick question... I know this is your busiest time of year, but I
also know that sometimes people just lose interest or have developed interest
elsewhere. I'm really curious as to which category you have fallen into. I know
that's a bit of a direct question, but I tend to be somewhat direct after a
period of time has past. I'm fine with any category you fit in, but I'd really
just like to know. Thanks. "

And this was his response:



"Hey. Sorry about that. I really apologize. Between my schedule and
the long distance thing, I guess it would just be tough for me to try and make us
work. While I think that you are awesome, sometimes it's just bad timing. I have
really enjoyed getting to know you and would like to remain friends if that's
cool. "

Can you say, "No sh!t, Sherlock!"? And to think that I was worried about being too picky!

Now I'm aggravated with myself for feeling a bit rejected. Something is definitely wrong with this picture. Wasn't this the guy I was NOT attracted to in the first place? How did I end up in a position of feeling dumped?








2 comments:

Unknown said...

I admire you for your directness with him. Too many girls I know who are "in the field" wait around for the guy to do and act as he pleases. Good for you for getting to the bottom of things without playing games!

bayouinga said...

Thanks. I can honestly say that maturity and years of experience are what have made me more direct. I don't do well with unresolved stuff. I can deal with just about anything (and probably have!) as long as I know what I'm dealing with. It's the "question mark" stuff that drives me insane!