Saturday, January 14, 2006

Fear

Fear is a funny thing.

It doesn't love you, doesn't hate you. Doesn't hide from you.

It can define you. It can destroy you. It can make you or break you.

It does not discriminate. All are welcome at its table.

Fear is your best friend and your worst enemy.

It can bewilder you or pacify you.

It can feel like a vice grip on your chest.

Let it control you and it will paralyze you. Harness it and you will soar.

I am no longer its slave.


I have not ceased being fearful, but I have ceased to let fear control me. I
have accepted fear as a part of life--specifically the fear of change, the fear
of the unknown; and I have gone ahead despite the pounding in my heart that
says: turn back, turn back, you'll die if you venture too far.
~ Erica Jong


No comments: