Monday, March 20, 2006

You CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

The "old dog" I'm referring to is me.

I had the BEST TIME Saturday with the Fireman! I traveled to visit him this time, and he had a great day planned. We were just going to do the things he does all the time, but I've never done in my life.

Here are my new tricks:

  1. We fished (but didn't catch anything). After a few false starts at casting, I got the hang of it.
  2. Rode a 4-wheeler throughout his family's 80+ acres. I tried to drive but found I'm a much better passenger.
  3. I climbed a deer stand. My choice, not his.
  4. And last, but certainly not least, I was kissed in a trailer! Ok... I could totally live w/o that last part... the trailer, that is. The kissing was great!

I also met his dad. And I swear after listening to the two of them talk, I could maybe make out every 3rd word! It was like they were speaking another language. But it's all fair because he said I talk so fast that he can hardly make out what I'm saying, too.

We talked about how we come from two totally different worlds, but it's ok. I have a lot to learn from him and he from me. He even told me to correct him when he says something incorrectly. Of course, I told him to be careful what you wish for... that he may of unleashed the devil! :-)

So we had grammar lesson number one yesterday - want is spelled with an a and not an o. Lesson number 2 will either be were is spelled with an e and not an a or the whole thank/think thing. Not sure yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My dear Bayou,

As an education snob who can't stand when people misspell words - or, worse yet, use words inappropriately - I was amused by your anguish over the new beau's misspellings. Out of curiosity, is this behavior manifest in emails or only in text messages? If the latter is the case, it is likely due to his use of "predictive text," whereby one types the first few letters and the phone "guesses" the intended word. If that's the case, it is likely the phone that made the error, as technology is wont to do. ;)

bayouinga said...

My dear Jazzy,

How well you do know me... in another life, in another time, maybe we could have been... but I digress...

I wish it were the predictive text thing. Honey, I don't think he even knows what that is! But it's not just in texts. It still jolts me everytime I read the misspellings, but the jolts aren't nearly as jarring.

He knows he can't spell and realizes that most of the time he doesn't even know when he's doing it. It's not like, "Gee, I'm not sure if committment has one or two t's and/or m's." It's basic things.

But shock of all shocks, I've realized it's not a deal breaker.
Can you believe it????