Monday, March 06, 2006

Departure from the norm

Stepping out of my comfort zone is never an easy thing to do. But I think there is value in it.

I've never been one to be attracted to brawn over brains. The brains part has always been such a big part of what attracts me to someone. I've dated guys with "brains and not much brawn" so why not try "brawn without much brains?" He didn't graduate from college; barely attended a junior college. He's a fireman and works construction.

But it's really not that simple. This guy has a brain; he's just not a "brainy" kind of guy. I hesitate to label him as "simple" because there seems to be more to him and more underneath his sweet, muscular, country-boy exterior.

It's in the way he looks at me... dead-on, straight in the eyes as if he's getting every word. He just has trouble expressing himself back to me. As if he doesn't have the vocabulary to do so. But does that mean he's dumb? I doubt it. Can he hold my interest? I don't know. We'll see.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how condescending

bayouinga said...

I'm sorry you feel that way. You obviously don't know me well, but regardless, I do think it's a bit cowardly to insult someone under the veil of being "anonymous."