Friday, January 22, 2010

Say What You Need To Say

My American Lit students are studying Transcendentalism, and while I can't take credit for creating this assignment, it was a good one. When the students (11th graders) walked into class, they were asked to respond the following quick write:


"So, I would say, you've got a part. What's your part? Who you are. You are who, who you are." -Pearl Jam


In your own words, what does this mean? How would you answer the question: Who are you? Explain. What is another song that also has transcendental ideas? Explain.

My fellow teacher and I decided to complete this, too, and share it with them. I sat down at a student desk for 5 minutes and wrote. Here is what I said.

We each are put on this earth for a reason and a part to play. No one else has the exact unique qualities we do, so we owe to the world to bring it out and show it.

I am a seeker, a helper, an aunt, a daughter, a sister, a teacher, a friend. I am a survivor and an overcomer. I am honest and good and an example of healthy brokenness put back together and stronger because of it.

The song that popped into my head as I was writing this was Say by John Mayer. The lyrics that jumped out to me are "Even if your hands are shaking and your faith is broken, even as the eyes are closing. Do it with a heart wide open. Say what you need to say."

The world needs to hear my voice.

No comments: