Friday, April 28, 2006

Feeling Old

You know it's really weird. For years, all I've heard is, "You're so young. You have PLENTY of time to settle down." But somehow I've now turned into an Old Maid by Fireman's family's standards. Don't get me wrong, they love me. They are really nice, and we get along great. But none of them can believe that I'm 35 (will be 36 in September) and have never been married nor engaged. Like I'm some sort of anomaly or something. Like an alien being that they don't really know what to do with. It's so strange. It's just that my life (which by many people's standards has not been all that exciting or adventurous) seems so cosmopolitan to them. So foreign to them. And not just to them. It's really foreign to Fireman, too. I've never felt like I've had to explain myself and my life choices before, but suddenly it seems as if I do. And it's not like they or he sit and grill me or anything. It's just very obvious that I've lived a much different life.

Hell, maybe I AM old. And there are always the not-so-subtle comments made by my nurse sister-in-law about how much risk there is involved in having children after age 35. And then she always catches herself and makes some sort of disclaimer, but it's out there nonetheless.

And I'm just so tired right now that I feel about 100! Just put me out to pasture. Stick a fork in me cause I'm done!

No comments: